On November 19 at 8pm, WQED TV will broadcast the premiere of a new documentary, Childhood Lost: The Adultification of African-American Girls.
The film will explore adultification, a form of racial bias where Black girls are viewed as less innocent and more adultlike than their white peers. Researchers found that adults believe that Black girls need less nurturing, less protection and less support. The film will be followed by a panel discussion by local experts who will share their perspectives about how Black girls are held to a more adult standard of behavior, which has been linked to harsher treatment in and out of school.
- Anna Hollis, Executive Director, Amachi Pittsburgh (Moderator)
- Demeatria Boccella, Founder & Executive Producer, Fashion Africana
- Dr. Kathi Elliott, CEO, Gwen’s Girls
- James Harris, Superintendent, Woodland Hills School District
- Kristy Trautmann, Executive Director, FISA Foundation